So, there’s about a two-week span between when my sister and I move out of our old apartment and into our new one.  This means that during those two weeks, we have to put most of our stuff in storage and live with our parents.  Our parents came to help us pack out the old apartment today.

So it was nice, pre-move, to have this little reminder.  It’s printed on my favorite coffee mug, and it reads: “Peace.  It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work.  It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.”

Moves are especially stressful for people with mood disorders like mine, so it was something I needed to read.

I also saw more in the news this morning about the Santa Clarita fires.  I feel real sympathy for everyone going through that right now, because I remember being evacuated from my house for a wildfire when I was young.  It was pretty scary.

Then our parents showed up, and after that it was just a hectic day of changing addresses, rescheduling, packing, and moving stuff into a mini warehouse.  (We were those annoying people who asked the mini warehouse owners to take care of the rats and mice in our warehouse – in our defense, we were putting mattresses in there.  I did manage to break the tension once and make everyone laugh.  “Rats!” Dad said at something, and I said, “Literally,” and everyone chuckled.)  We had a quick lunch at Arby’s and then got back to packing.

So, when you move, there’s always that moment at the beginning when you’re like, “I’ve got this.”  And then there’s that moment in the middle when you’re like, “OhmyGod I haven’t got this.”

By the time you’re finished, you’re too tired to really be thinking or saying anything, so there is no moment when you’re finished.

We had no air conditioning.  That was fun.  Oh, and by the way, I have an ungodly amount of books.

My bipolar disorder started to overwhelm me around 5:00.  I got through packing my stuff and half the kitchen with Mom, and then started taking trips to the warehouse with Dad.  That helped – getting out of the apartment for a while.

I was thanked for some of the cleaning I did previous to the move, so that was nice.

We left at about 6:30 to head back to Mom and Dad’s house, about an hour and a half away, in a larger town.  We didn’t finish packing out the apartment, but we will later on in the week.

I had a bit of driving anxiety on the way to Mom and Dad’s place, but not too bad.  It’s a cute little one-story yellow and white house, complete with a mini forest in back, a nice view of open fields and mountains in front, and a front porch with a porch swing.  My sister and I each have our own room, unlike in our current apartment or in the house we grew up in, where we always had to share a room.

We’re about to head off to Sonic for dinner.  I managed to convince Mom to let us watch Jane Eyre with dinner – she’s my favorite classical heroine.